Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Day in the Life of an Economics Department Student


Ms. Dan Li


Today, I want to show you one “day in my life” so that it may provide some direct information about an foreign student’s daily life in Tohoku University.

At first, I would like to show you my dorm. I live in the International House of Tohoku University, it is one of the students‘ dormitory. I strongly suggest you live here as there are lots of activities going on this place. You can always get information in time and keep contact with other students. 
















Here is the environment around the International House.


This is the front door of the International House. There is the bus stop for the school bus. But pay attention to the schedule of the bus.



This is the dorm building.


Welcome to my little place. 




Here is the place of my fantastic life in Japan. Most days, I cycle to school. Here is my bicycle (you can buy a new one like this in Rakuten which I mentioned in my last blog). It will take me about 15 minutes in a fast speed to school and 25 minutes at most.











8:50-12:00 A.M.
We usually have Japanese class during this time.
These classes are called “Special Japanese language classes for foreign students”. Everybody can take these classes, but you need to apply for it at the beginning of each semester. It has 5 levels.There is a test which helps divide the students to different levels.


12:00-13:00 P.M.
Lunch time! >w< We have restaurants and cafes in both North Campus and South Campus.
But during this time there will always be large amount of people in both restaurants!! But the food is delicious and cheap~ I will show you the restaurant which I like.


In North campus, the restaurant provide food from 8:00A.M. to 20:00P.M. (Weekend and Holiday: 11:00A.M. to 14:30P.M.). Whenever you want to eat just go and grab some food!(Except the noodle court: From11:00A.M. to 13:00 P.M.). There are lots of kinds of food there, both Japanese style and western style. But the best thing is that the scenery around restaurant is good! I love eating surrounded with green.





13:00- 15:00 P.M.
There are cafes in both campuses. With a book and cup of coffee, you can enjoy a leisurely afternoon! There are a book store and shop next to the cafe. I like to choose this place for taking a break from study. 




15:00- 17:00 P.M.
Usually, there are lots of times when we need to study by ourselves. Sometimes you will not like to study in the Library. So, why not apply for a research room? Here are two buildings in which our research rooms are located.




Here we can have our own place for study. We can also apply for a wireless or wired connection for searching the Internet. This is my own place:
 

Each floor has a copy room which provides a copy machine, microwave, water heater and other stuff. If you are bored of eating in the restaurant, you can just bring your own food here and eat in this room. 

 




Also there is a meeting room to help students work on group work and presentations.


The bulletin board is updated everyday to keep step with the department’s news.



17:00- 19:00P.M.
I have a tutor in campus, we meet once each week. He helps not only with my Japanese but also with my student life. We sometimes hang out and go for Karaoke and more.

 

In our the Economic and Management Department, we have an office called DIEE which works for the foreign students and is in charge of holding lots of activities such as hot spring trips, picking cherries, sports meetings etc. The teachers working here are always ready to help!
There are lots of interest groups in the campus, they always have activities during afternoon. Find out one or several that you like. Click here for further information. Recently, we prepared for a soft ball competition. Here are some pictures:


 
Every Saturday and Sunday we get together and practice. We had lots of fun! We enjoy being together!


This is a simple day of mine. It is not that colorful but I think it’s still full of interesting things.
I hope through this you may feel easier about your life as a future Tohoku University student.

Please join us and find another lifestyle for yourself!



--
by Dan Li